When times change and the world evolves it can often put us in uncomfortable positions when “conventional wisdom” doesn’t change at the same rate.
One such shift that is creating a challenging environment for some couples is the increasing number of women that earn more money than their husbands.
According to a recent US Census study, 4 in to households with children under 18 have a woman that is the primary or sole breadwinner. That number is 4x what is was in the 1960s! Sorry Mad Men, but times, they are a-changin’.
To help us learn how to still have a great relationship under these circumstances, personal finance expert Farnoosh Torabi joins us on Episode 13 of the Movers and Shakers Podcast with tons of advice from her new book, “When She Makes More.”
Farnoosh has been featured on the Today Show, Yahoo, the NY Times, the Wall Street Journal, The View, CNN and many other national media outlets.
Plus, she knows this topic from experience. She too, makes more than her husband.
In this episode of Movers & Shakers here’s what we’ll cover:
- How men tend to feel when they make less money than their wives
- How her mom reacted when she found out that Farnoosh made more than her soon-to-be husband
- One great financial move that makes a lesser earning spouse feel important
- How men can make significant contributions to the family that aren’t about money
- How she got a famous television star to endorse her book as a 20-something, first time author with no following
- How she built her career as an expert, author and coach, and how you can too!
- And much more!
Advice from Farnoosh Torabi
- If you’re building a career as an expert, first think “I’m in it With You”, rather that feeling like you have to have all of the answers up front.
- Attach the lesser earning spouse’s income to something special and important, such as the college fund or the annual vacation. This will let them know that their contributions are needed and valued.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Farnoosh’s website
- Farnoosh on Twitter
- Farnoosh on Facebook
- Farnoosh’s new book: When She Makes More
- Farnoosh’s other books: You’re So Money, Psych Yourself Rich
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the show in iTunes so that you never miss another inspiring interview!
Action Item: Get over your ego. Now.
Whether you are worried about making more than your spouse or you’re running your business with a “super-person” complex and think you can do everything without any help, it all comes down to your ego.
To help you get over yourself, go write down 5 things that make (or would make) your life better by being part of a team versus being all alone.
If you focus on the virtues of being part of a team, it will be much easier for you to live a richer and happier life.